I never thought plant-based meat could compare to the real thing. I was wrong.Joey Hadden/Business Insider
- Plant-based meat alternatives are conquering fast-food and casual-dining markets.
- Burger King, White Castle, and Carl’s Jr are getting in on meat substitute craze with their own versions plant-based burgers.
- Burger King and White Castle both offered renditions of the Impossible burger, while Carl’s Jr used Beyond Meat patties.
- As a non-meat-eater, I decided to try all the plant-based fast-food burgers that I could get my hands on in New York.
- I don’t eat plant-based “meat” because I used to eat real meat, and I never thought the plant-based stuff could ever compare to the real thing. But after trying these fast-food options, I now know how wrong I was.
- I found that Carl’s Jr’s Beyond Famous Star burger is the best — though not the meatiest-tasting — plant-based fast-food burger that’s out there right now, with White Castle and Burger King’s options not far behind.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.